Wednesday 4 March 2020

26 Years and Counting


I'm always sad when the 4th March comes round again, it means another year without John on this planet, that clocks up to 26 so far. However, last weekend, Home Alone, Uncle Buck and Planes Trains and Automobiles were on TV and he seemed as present as ever.

John is still bringing love and laughter.

Sadly, over the last 12 months, we have also lost two wonderful people that I interviewed for the book. Caroll Spinney (aka Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch) spread his yellow wings and flew off in December 2019, and my dear friend Patty Ferraro, who I interviewed about working on Only the Lonely passed away literally a month ago. Both, like John, leave a lasting legacy.





My hour with Caroll was pretty magical, aside from his John stories, he was so wise and sweet, he spoke to me in Big Bird's voice at one stage and I felt like I was five years old again. I told him of my disappointment that I had heard Miss Piggy and Kermit the Frog were getting a divorce, without missing a beat he told me not to worry - "It was just a storyline"!



I found Patty and her sister, Marie, completely by chance, on an old Facebook thread where they were talking about working on Only the Lonely - I thought I would chance my luck and send them a message. It paid off. They gave me some great stories as well as their friendship. Patty was hilarious and would message me late at night (my time), give me commentary on the world, old stories from her time as a Chicago cop (those sisters really kicked some ass, true heroes) and counselled me many times. My heart is with her beloved sister Marie and daughter Ally. I will really miss Patty, she was a one-off, RIP my friend and thanks.


With regards to John, I hope he's caught up with both of them, I hope he doesn't mind me being so curious about him,  I'm pretty sure Patty will vouch for me.

So I guess on a sad day like today, we need to remember the love of those we have lost, be grateful that we had them and realise that living on and telling stories about them is part of their legacy, and ours.

Big love to you all
Orange Whip?

Tracey x

No comments:

Post a Comment