Tuesday 6 August 2024

Second Chances and Second Editions...


I've done it again, not blogged for a while. I always kick myself when I realise this and yet, it takes self-shaming to get me back into gear. It's not that I don't want to, it's that the world seems rather noisy right now and trying to shut my brain off to sit down and write is something I struggle with, especially if it's about myself. 

Since I last blogged a fair amount has changed in my world. Last September I sadly lost my cat, Archie, heartbroken is not a big enough word. I have never felt such a pure love before nor after and I don't suppose I ever will, I get on with it by telling myself I will never get over him, and that's okay.

In happier news, I then achieved an MA in Comedy Writing, before having more major surgery last October (of which I've recovered beautifully).  So you could say it's been a bit of a mixed bag. 

John Candy has brought a lot to my life - comfort, laughter and some courage. Whilst writing and learning about John I read a lot about improv comedy and I've always been envious of people who can get up there and just do it! The fear has always got in the way. A few weeks ago I attended my first-ever improv workshop courtesy of the wonderful Giant Leap Improv, I was terrified and exhilarated and will definitely be doing it again. 

On top of that I've been working on something... 

A Second Edition of Searching For Candy, and I'm so proud of it. Big thanks to the team, editor Joe Shooman and designer, Gary McGarvey for all the hard work they put in for me. I was blessed with new interviews from friends and colleagues of John's, new stories, new pictures, and in total around an extra 20,000 words, it's also available in hardback and looks stunning (thanks Gary AKA Horse). 

You can buy it now here

In other news, I was one of the main admins on a very successful Facebook group called Long Live John Candy, unfortunately in March we were hacked and it has since been taken over by bots and spammers. We (myself and Johnny Zito) put years into that group and it was all very upsetting, however, we have started a new one (and because we didn't inherit this one we can't be kicked out), so if you are on FB please come join our new group and join in the conversation about John Candy at John Candy Lives On.   

One final thing to mention (this is what happens when I don't blog often, there is a lot to fit in!) I was interviewed by the wonderful Jim Hawkins for his Hello, You podcast, you can hear me talking about John and the book here, Jim is brilliant and creating a wonderful community so you should definitely check it out. 

I hope you are all keeping well and are finding joy in the world, even at this turbulent time. Gawd knows we need John Candy more than ever. 

Big love to you all, 

Tracey x

No comments:

Post a Comment